Sunday, March 14, 2010

Super shake update

Just wanted to do another short entry on super shakes and how they've really made a big difference on strength-training days (for my purposes, strength training mean upper-body strengthening exercises). I posted earlier about retching problems I'd had when we do our strength training, and about how I hoped drinking a super shake on workout day might address that problem.

Drinking the shake on strength-training day did, in fact, help to alleviate the problem. And in this entry I just want to reiterate that and to recommend to anyone who may have this sort of retching problem when they work out that they should consider a super shake lunch/afternoon snack on workout days as a potential solution.

To be more concise, here's how the shake diet has helped me on strength-training days. We usually work out in the evening--around 6 or 7 P.M. I will eat a solid breakfast on those days and often have a mid-morning snack as well (yogurt, perhaps some fresh vegetables and/or some corn chips). But after about 11 A.M. I switch to what is essentially a liquid diet until supper (after the workout). So, most of a large supershake for lunch, then the rest later in the afternoon. This diet has made a big difference with respect to the retch factor.

Granted, you may not have such acute digestive issues as I have (I suspect a hiatal hernia). But using these shakes on workout days may nonetheless bring you some relief if you have the retch sensation during your workout.

Now, the urge to retch is not limited to strength-training for me, though it is more pronounced (owing, usually, to supine or prone positions you assume when doing certain exercises). So the question I now face is, should I consider--now that the cycling season impends--doing super shakes on hard cycling days as well?

I've definitely given it some thought. I'll be providing updates on that.

BTW, the backs of my legs are a bit sore today--hamstrings, calves, behind the knees. I'm guessing that's from yesterday's ride and owes largely to the fact that I ride an upright bike for off-season, stationary-bike training, while during cycling season I ride a recumbent on the road. Slightly differing muscle groups are involved in each of the two configurations.

No comments:

Post a Comment