Saturday, March 6, 2010

4.5 mile walk in place of cycling

Today was one of the days when we decided to replace our cycling with walking. It was such a nice spring day out and we had some errands to run. So we decided to get our exercise and do errands at the same time.

We could have actually made this about an 8-mile walk. But that seemed to me a little too large an increase in mileage. We currently walk in the range of 1-3 miles on some days and increasing that amount by more than twice so suddenly seemed unwise to me. So we drove a bit of the way toward our destination and walked the rest. In retrospect I think we could have done 6 miles without causing ourselves too much distress--mainly joint pain, at our age. But hindisght is always 20/20, as they say.

Of course the walking was nowhere near as intense as the cycling we would have done today. But that's fine: we don't need to be intense every time we do activity, we just need to remain active. I'm not trying to set any records. I'm shooting more for the sort of slow-and-steady-wins-the race philosophy

I've created a new poll on this blog but I'll wait until tomorrow to explain further about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment