Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Weight loss during cycling season

Just a quick post to sort of wonder aloud whether this year will be like last year in terms of weight loss. Last summer, when we were doing a lot of biking, my weight actually went down to a bit below 200 lbs.; maybe to as low as 197? I suspect that's because of the intense and lengthy energy expenditure I get when we cycle outdoors on the road.

At my last weigh-in (this past Saturday), I was at 208 lbs.--so I've gained a bit over the winter. I do think I've gained a bit of upper-body muscle mass from our strength training, but I seriously doubt it amounts to anywhere near 8 lbs. Then again, according to reading I've done on the subject, I'm likely to have some extra water retention from the creatine I've been taking regularly for about the last 3.5 months. So I'm guessing that plays a role in the weight increase I now see.

But with this post I just want to wonder aloud--and also give myself a reminder to check--about whether I'll get down to around 200 lbs. or little less once we start putting in serious miles on the bike (i.e., 30 plus miles) in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for further reports in that in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment