Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day off: gotta hav'em sometimes, don't ya?

Had some errands to run this evening so we took the day off from our usual fitness routine (ab/core exercises and ca. 20 minutes of cycling intervals). I feel a bit guilty, as usual.

In fact, let me wallow in my guilt a bit to try and get it off my chest. We are, after all, taking the whole week off next week, so why an extra day now, right before the week off? Furthermore, you're only exercising for about a half hour on Thursdays anyways: couldn't you even bring yourself to do a measly half of exercise?

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way. Yes, it's good to deprive yourself of your regular fitness activities some times, in my view. It gives you some drive to get back to it--as long as your break doesn't go on for too long. And we typically don't take off more than say one day per month, if that.

And since it's winter I can somewhat allay my guilt by thinking to myself "gee, I'm so glad I did this in winter and took some time off from the stationary bike; imagine how guilty I'd feel if the weather were really nice and warm and, not only did I miss some exercise, but I missed being out in that beautiful weather!"

How do you deal with guilt feelings when you miss a workout day? C'mon, I know you miss one now and then--we all do.

(Hey, maybe I should have just hooked one of these [internal combustion engine assisted] bikes to my trainer and let it run while I was out doing errands?)

No comments:

Post a Comment