Thursday, January 21, 2010

Alternative/natural sleep aids

I've blogged previously about the insomnia I've experienced over the last decade or so and about the fact that I suspect it may play a role in my heightened blood pressure. And thus may also be related to my current fitness endeavors, which were undertaken, in part, in reaction to high blood pressure readings. I've also blogged about how a medication I was prescribed--zolpidem (Ambien)--though it gave some relief from the insomnia, nevertheless caused me some serious mood problems when used with regularity.

Well, I cut back on using the zolpidem, though I am still experimenting with it. It does seem that, if I use it as seldom as once per week, the mood problems are either very minimal or absent. I'll now experiment with using it for two days in a given week to see if those same results hold. The aim is, of course, to figure out the proper dosage and scheduling: at what point does it give the undesirable side-effects and within what parameters do those side-effects not manifest to a problematic degree?

I'm finding that out. And I'll be reporting the results here.1

While performing those experiments, I've also considered the natural alternative sleep aids. My first option--were it legal or if I could legitimately obtain it--would be marijuana. I haven't used any for decades but, according to experiences I had with it in my youth, I would presume it could make a pretty effective sleep aid. But it's just not a realistic option given the current state of affairs in this country: I'd have to get involved with the underworld culture to try this and run the risk of falling afoul of the law. I'm just not interested--either in having those kinds of ties anymore or in confronting the justice system.

Another possible natural sleep aid I've read about recently is kava kava. That one can be legally obtained and I do hope to try it soon so as to see whether it can offer me an alternative to the zolpidem. So, look for future posts on the viability of using kava as a sleep aid.
----------------------------
1 Today's (1/22/10) results are encouraging. Having taken zolpidem for the second time within one week, I nonetheless can say that I do not feel any particular mood issues. I'm encouraged and plan to keep taking zolpidem up to 2 times per week to see if these preliminary positive results persist.

No comments:

Post a Comment