Monday, December 28, 2009

Zolpidem to the rescue!

I recently decided I'd had enough restless nights in a row that I should break down and take a zolpidem (the generic name for the drug sold under the title Ambien--actually, I take a half tablet)--especially after the torture session that took place Saturday night. What a relief to be able finally to lay down and fall asleep within a half hour, and especially to not wake up until after 6 A.M.!It almost never happens that I don't wake up several times during the night, tossing and turning. The worst is on those nights when, having woken up several times and tried not to look at the clock, I finally allow myself to glance at the blasted chronometer, only to confirm that I went to bed just a couple of hours ago. So it's like a dream come true to wake up only when it's starting to get light outside.

On several days last week I'd felt as though I were in zombie mode owing to lack of sleep. And the insomnia definitely wasn't helping my workouts, either. It's that much harder to push yourself exercising when you're feeling like it's a struggle just to stay awake.

I've tried to be discerning about my mood today and I'm certain it has been negatively affected by the zolpidem (proneness to fits of anger). Zolpidem does seem to have some borderline positive effects as well: I'm pretty sure it increases my libido. It also seems to give me a better appetite. But the negative side effects outweigh the positive, except in extreme circumstances. At any rate I won't take any more zolpidem until maybe next weekend anyway, so those effects will be well worn off by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment