Monday, December 21, 2009

Power 90 master's circuit 5-6 sculpt outline

I've decided that one of the things I need to do on this blog is to offer more detail on our strength-training workouts. I've already mentioned that we do a modified P90X routine and listed the titles of the DVD's we use out of that set. I recently revised that posting, adding a table that lists all exercises on each of the DVD's. I added some informational links there too, where reviewers of those routines offer yet more detail about the exercises--see all that material here.

Continuing in that same vein I posted an outline of one of our less rigorous routines (the ones we currently do on Mondays and Fridays) as well here. I promised in that entry to list the exercises in our other less rigorous strength-training routine and now I'm actually getting around to doing that. Here's the list for the Power 90 masters series circuit 5-6 sculpt (what a mouthful, eh? Maybe an acronym is in order here: p90mc56s, perhaps?) routine we do on most Fridays:
  • warm-up/stretch (6 mins. plus about 30 seconds banter)
  1. side-to-side push-ups
  2. one leg at a time (variation on lawnmowers)
  3. 6-direction shoulder flys
  4. preacher curls (crouching)
  5. split-leg wide tri rises
  6. one-legged hamstring press
  7. plange push-ups
  8. reverse-grip heavy pants
  9. straight-arm shoulder flys (bent over)
  10. incline (sloucher) curls - use chair
  11. elevated chair dips
  12. 1-legged Russian rouble squats
  • 30-second water break (at 21-minute mark)
  1. rami push-ups (wide for x, then diver bomber for x)
  2. 2-way lawnmowers
  3. scarecrow press
  4. in and out hammer curls
  5. flared-arm sphinx
  6. prayer squat-toe raise
  7. salutation push-ups (1 minute duration)
  8. locomotive lawnmowers
  9. upright row/Y press
  10. open-arm 21's (curls, 7 low halfway, 7 high halfway, 7 full distance)
  11. reverse-grip tricep extensions
  12. plyo 80/20's
  • stretch/cool-down (about 5.5 minutes)
It will again be worth rehearsing why I feel the need to list in greater detail what we're doing in the way of strength training. First, it's more informative to you, the reader: instead of appearing as though I'm trying to sell you on some product by just saying "we're doing this or that commercially-available routine" you'll be able to see just what that routine involves. Second, these lists may actually help you to develop some of your own fitness routines--that's what I plan on doing with these "raw materials" once I've gotten more experience with this type of fitness. Finally, with these sorts of lists I can get to a point where I can stop using DVD's (watching the same thing over and over and over gets kind'a old, ya' know?) and just do my routines from a list.

So, posting these outlines stands to benefit both of us. I'm thankful I discovered these routines and they have gotten me off to a good start. But you have to be prepared to strike out on your own after a certain period of dependency. I think these outlines may help all of us to do that when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment