Friday, December 11, 2009

Where I've been, where I'm at, and whither I am going

I'll dedicate this entry to Mathew, who seems to have some unrealistic notions about fitness and aging.

Maybe I should have entitled this entry "Where we've been, where we're at, and whither we're going?" After all, it's relevant to all of us--despite the fact that even those around 30 years of age might still entertain hopes of immortality. Another alternate title might be something like "The athlete's regress."

I found the following outline at http://www.coastkinetics.com/blog/?p=189. It appears to be excerpted from notes someone took in a physiology or perhaps physical therapy course.

It doesn't present a very pretty prospectus, but I'm a realist. I already have an idea of what I'm in for health-wise as I age. I hope through exercise to at least delay some of the deterioration that goes along with aging. I realize at this stage--from first-hand experience involving my own health over the last decade or so--that I can't foil father time. But I intend to do what I can to make the aging process as graceful as possible.

Without further ado, the outline:
These are lecture notes from a course I took on aging from SFU. Although the changes in the body may make you feel a bit depressed…it can also be excellent motivation to make fitness an integral part of your life.

What happens per decade as we age?

In your 30s
· Aerobic capacity will decline by approx 1% per year, and strength may decline by 0.5% per year (after the age of 30)

· metabolism may decrease (a change in diet may be in order to maintain healthy body weight)

· flexibility will start to decrease (joint problems are common from previous injuries)

· recovery from training will not be as quick as it was in 20s
In your 40s
· by maintaining a good aerobic and strength program, retention of fitness from 30s is totally achievable

· reaction time slows by approximately 5% and coordination starts to deteriorate

· loss of fast twitch muscle fibers and ability to accelerate will diminish

· metabolism will decrease (a change in diet may be in order to maintain healthy body weight)

· flexibility will continue to decline (may experience more joint problems)

· recovery from training will be slower

· increased risk of many diseases (diabetes and heart disease)
In your 50s
· retention of fitness from 40s is possible if a solid aerobic and strength training program is followed

· reaction time slows by approximately 5% and coordination continues to deteriorate

· gradual loss of fast twitch muscle fibers and ability to accelerate quickly

· Bones will become less dense and vision may start to deteriorate

· metabolism will decrease (a change in diet may be in order to maintain healthy body weight)

· flexibility will continue to decline (may experience more joint problems)

· increased risk of many diseases

In your 60s
· retention of fitness from 50s is possible if a solid aerobic and strength training program is followed

· reaction time will slow by approximately 20% from its peak and coordination will continue to deteriorate

· continued loss of fast twitch muscle fibers and ability to accelerate quickly

· bones are less dense and vision deteriorates

· metabolism has declined and total body mass will probably decrease

· flexibility has declined (may feel more joint problems and may have arthritis)

· longer recovery time from training is needed

· exercise is key to reducing risk of disease and maintaining a reasonable level of strength and mobility
In your 70s
· the effect of aging will make it difficult to retain fitness level from 60s

· daily tasks require a significant percentage of aerobic and strength capacity

· reaction time has slowed significantly and coordination deteriorated

· considerable loss of strength and aerobic capacity

· bones less dense, vision continues to deteriorate
I think this outline was probably not put together by someone in their 70's. I've definitely got the failing vision and joint problems attributed to the 6th decade (50's). I had perfect vision all my life and did not need any sort of glasses til I was in my 40's. Now, however, I'm lost--at least when it comes to reading print--without glasses. Then there's the arthritis that's cropped up in my toe over the last 3 years or so. I suspect arthritis may be developing in my right hip as well.

I don't intend to dwell on ill health and bleak outlooks, though. Off now to try and make the best I can of this 6th decade!

No comments:

Post a Comment