Monday, May 10, 2010

Getting cycling-season conditioning back, feeling modified P90X effects

Went for about a 13 mile ride today. I'm finally starting to feel--after a total of probably a couple hundred miles on the road so far this year--like I'm getting my cycling-season conditioning back. By that I mean that I'm recovering much more quickly from short bursts of intense energy output (e.g., on hills) and the burning sensation in the legs that results from lactic acid build-up when I do those bursts is also fading much more quickly. I was very happy to have those sensations of quicker recovery on our ride today--yipee!

And on the alternate modified P90X front (I think it's about time for an acronym here: how about am-P90X?), it's incredible how taxing these exercises are. We did DVD 1 last Thursday and I'm still feeling the effects. In fact, it's only today that I can do normal activities like raising my arms above my head, reaching into the fridge to grab something, or listing myself off the floor or out of bed, without serious discomfort in my lats/chest/triceps. I do still have some pain there, even as I sit and write this. But it's finally lessening.

It was really bothersome on Friday and Saturday and was maybe a little better on Sunday. That tells you how taxing this routine can be. And this is coming from someone who has been doing some fairly intense, twice-weekly upper-body exercise sessions for the last couple of years. I expect full recovery before Thursday--in time for our next am-P90X session.

And, on the weight front I've dropped 3 pounds. Interesting to see, as I've observed previously, whether I'll get down around 200 again this year at the height of cycling season.

No comments:

Post a Comment