Monday, May 3, 2010

Farewell, arm toner phase

I've been pretty lax about making blog entries lately, but give me a chance to reform my ways.

It all started with a last-minute trip I needed to make out east to get the new bike: obviously, it's difficult more difficult to blog--at least for me--when I'm away from home. Then, I needed to reassmeble to new bike. Plus, I got sidetracked by some other matters.

But I am still here and am still doing fitness. Our cycling mileage has gone down a bit as we get used to riding the new bike: this past weekend, for example, we only put in about 40-45 miles. That should continue to go up steadily, though, with increasingly nice weather.

And we've continued with our twice-weekly arm-toner/strength-training sessions. Even when we had to make runs out of town for one or a few days. We either used equipment we found and made due that way, or brought our own.

And like other routines headed by Tony Horton, we've enjoyed the arm toner phase. In fact, I already look forward to the time when we can go back to it. But, as I've forewarned in previous entries, the arm toner phase has now ended.

Effective starting this week, we'll start our summer routine. This will mean a lot more miles/time on the bike, and correspondingly less emphasis on upper-body strengthening.

We'll begin the new phase this week, and it will involve doing upper-body strengthening only one day (instead of two) per week. But we will be doing a more rigorous upper-body routine on this one day per week: we're going back to the 4 upper-body P90X routines we were using last spring and summer.

I've decided to christen this new phase the alternate modified P90X phase. What we'll end up doing is completing our fourfold P90X upper-body regime about once per month, rather than once every two weeks, as we had done last spring. So, over the course of the cycling season we'll probably do the whole fourfold cycle 4 or perhaps 5 times

I haven't yet worked out how/whether our ab/core routines, which we currently do twice a week, will change. But I'll be posting about that soon. More later on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment