Monday, July 6, 2009

60 mile day, preliminary review of modified Power 90

Well, we've now managed to break the 55 mile mark we set in late May--but not by much. We did 60 miles this past weekend, and I was surprised at how much it took out of me. Recalling, however, that although I took it pretty easy for the first 15 miles or so, we got into kind of a rush about 25 miles in and I really pushed it after that--especially between about miles 35 and 45. And even after that there was at least one fairly long hill, and hills are always daunting on a recumbent tandem (you can't use your body weight to help you stomp your way up the hill).

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the effort. I am building up toward something with these mileage increases: a hoped-for weekend tour later this month. I'm not sure we'll be able to pull that off though. Doing this sort of mileage also takes me back to more youthful days when I would hit the road for long-distance touring of a month or more. I may never be able to do that sort of thing again, but a guy can dream, can't he?

I'll also include in this entry a preliminary review of the modified Power 90 routine we began doing a couple of weeks ago. First, a word on what the phrase "modified Power 90" means.

As was the case with the P90X regime, we've excerpted parts of another regime(s) called Power 90 to create our own upper-body workout routine. I have parenthesis around the "s" on the word "regime" because there is more than one regime called Power 90 and because we've excerpted parts of two different Power 90 regimes.

I'm aware that this probably sounds confusing. And it is, in fact, confusing. But blame the company that puts out these video workouts for that.

I've blogged previously about how the company that puts out P90X and the Power 90 regimes is engaging in a practice I called product/market obfuscation. As I mentioned, I may later post a more philosophical entry about that practice. But suffice for now to observe that this is why my description of our modified Power 90 routine might sound confusing (a look at the wikipedia entry for Tony Horton [under the videography heading] contains a list of exercise videos he's done, which can help allay at least some of the confusion).

Not wanting to make myself a marketing organ for that company, or to support their ethically marginal practices in marketing their products, I will simply observe that one of the routines we've excerpted comes from what seems to be the standard, and older, Power 90 regime. The other comes from a newer one that has the additional label "master's series." The first is called circuit 3-4 sculpt, and the second is called circuit 5-6 sculpt.

I gather from what's said in the videos that we've excerpted some of the most advanced portions of the respective regimes. I presume that each of those regimes is likely a 90 day fitness course that builds to more lengthy and more strenuous exercises toward the end. So we've essentially skipped the introductory and intermediate portions of the two regimes and gone straight to the advanced portions.

The focus in each of the routines we've excerpted is on upper body strengthening. There are just a few leg exercises--which is what we were looking for, i.e., a minimal amount of lower body exercising (we get our lower body exercise primarily from cycling) and an emphasis on strengthening the upper body.

I observed in a previous entry that I was pleasantly surprised by the modified routine we've put together. That opinion remains. This is a nice selection of exercises, alternating between use of weights (dumbbells) and calisthenics. It's not as strenuous as P90X and doesn't take as much time (roughly 40 minutes as opposed to 55 minutes). The icing on the cake for me is that it ends up being pretty aerobic. As I mentioned in a previous entry, I had decided that we needed to switch to something that would involve aerobic upper-body activities, and this looks like a really good answer.

I should mention in that regard that it is aerobic only if you try and keep pace with the video, which we do. If you use the pause button, it won't be as aerobic, and it will also take longer.

I want to mention in closing that, when doing P90X, I was trying to build up some muscle, so I was generally using heavier weight and doing less repetitions--in cases where weights (dumbbells) are being used. Though I've been following pretty much that same practice with our modified Power 90 routines, I will begin experimenting with using less weight and doing more repetitions. This will have the dual effect of making the workout more aerobic, as well as providing me with a little bit of a break from the rigorousness of the P90X workouts I'll be doing during the shorter part of the year.

As a final summary to this entry, an overview of our current annual fitness regime.

- workout 6 times a week, 4 days (Tues., Thurs., Sat., and Sun.) cycling or walking and 2 days (Mon. and Fri.) strength training.

- cycling days see us either riding on the road for between 6 and 70 miles, or riding the stationary bikes indoors for 1/2 hour, depending on weather. we have the option of replacing cycling with walking--which is more likely to happen during the colder months.

- strength training, done on Mondays and Fridays, will involve doing our modified Power 90 routine from about April through November. From December through March we'll be doing our modified P90X.

I should also mention that used copies of both these DVD's can be found on Amazon for between $5.00 and $15.00. eBay is another likely source for cheap copies of these video workouts. Stay tuned for my next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment