Monday, June 29, 2009

Some considerations for the older exercise enthusiast

I will offer here just a short entry that conveys an important point that came up in one of my physical therapy sessions. It's actually a very commonsensical point that, on later reflection, leaves me wondering why I hadn't thought of it earlier.

On undergoing some physical therapy for a back problem that recently cropped up (I havent blogged yet about this problem or the therapy I got for it, since it seemed a muscular thing that was likely to pass quickly) I described to the therapist my exercise regime. While she thought what I was doing was generally good--meaning I was leading an adequately active lifestyle--she seemed a little put off by the variety of exercises I was doing.

To backtrack a little, during the time I had that appointment we were still doing our modified P90X routines. Taken together, we probably had a repertoire of 30 or 40 different exercises we were doing twice weekly at that time. That's quite a lot of variety and the variety, I think, played some role in keeping that program interesting.

Now, contrast that variety with the exercises the physical therapist gives you. They start out with some really simple "granny exercises" that I'm reluctant even to call exercises. You do those for a week and come back, then they give you some more. And so on until you're doing a larger selection of exercises that are a bit more demanding.

Why do they do things this way? Why start with such easy exercises, gradually building up to something more challenging?

It's pretty simple, actually. They do it this way because they want to find out if there is some exercise that's causing you problems. Only after checking, following a certain period of doing the exercises, whether they are having some detrimental effect, do they add more. Essentially they try to isolate exercises to see if there are any that cause problems.

Now, that's something I can relate to well. If you read my blog entries about my shoulder problem you'll know that I couldn't put my finger on exactly what precipitated it. In fact, it would have been very difficult to do that because I was doing about 20 different types of exercises when the problem came up (that was before we started P90X, when I was mainly using the Soloflex for strength training). I found myself wondering at times how I might conduct some experiment to see if I could determine whether one of those exercises was bothering my shoulder more than some other. But I couldn't really think of a good way to do that, so I just kept on with the same set of exercises.

Anyway, back to my more recent physical therapy sessions--the ones related to some back pain I've had recently. The therapist was a bit hesitant to fully endorse our P90X routine. Thinking about why that might be, in concert with reflecting on how the physical therapists I've consulted with introduce exercises in phases, revealed why she was hesitant: they attempt to try and isolate exercises that might cause problems and to stop those that do. They sometimes provide alternate exercises in place of the offending ones. In short, the way physical therapists approach exercise is to build up a routine for you gradually, using only exercises that your body seems to tolerate well.

That sort of approach helps guard against ending up in a situation like mine, where you have developed some problem but can't quite identify what caused it. Or, it helps prevent those sorts of injury to begin with. Granted, this might seem pretty self-evident, but it comes to me as something of a revelation.

Addressing why it comes as a revelation uncovers the difficulties involved in developing an adequate exercise regime. Of course the simple way to develop an exercise regime is just to get a book or DVD like I did and follow along. Ideally, though, what we should probably be doing is getting a book or DVD and working into it gradually: just do a couple of the exercises for the first two or three weeks and see what the effect are, then add a couple more. Continue like that until you've added a sufficient number of exercises to suit your goals.

I did not follow that path, obviously. Whether through impatience or perhaps naivete about how the exercises could affect a body the age of mine, I can't say. Likely a combination of the two.

Which brings me to the moral of this entry. When you start a new exercise routine, and I think this applies especially to those approaching my age, you should think seriously about working into it gradually. Try just a couple of exercises for two or three weeks, then introduce a couple more. And so on, until you've developed your full regime. Doing so may help you to avoid injury and allow you to spend less time in doctors' offices or in physical therapy, and more in actual fitness pursuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment