Sunday, April 11, 2010

35 mile day

It was nice yesterday and we had the time, so we put in about 35 miles. There was a strong wind, which made riding in a certain direction tough. And I wasn't exactly taking it easy.

I had the heart monitor on. During most of the ride my heart rate was between 150 and 160. I saw 173 at one point after we'd gone up a tough hill.

As a 51 year old, my maximum heart rate, according to some charts, is supposed to be 170. Well, I blew that one out of the water yesterday. And those who've followed this blog will know that I've seen much higher heart rates than that.

And sustaining a rate in the 150-160 range for the bulk of yesterday's ride--which took a little over two hours--should be impossible for someone my age according to that chart. Well, I survived to tell about it.

Not to say that I don't feel the effects of it today. No, this being the first 35 mile day of the year, I think I overdid it yesterday. I should've taken it a little easier. As a result of the muscle soreness/stiffness and residual exhaustion from yesterday, we did only a short, liesurely ride today.

But yesterday's ride will help me build up fitness. The next 35 mile ride will be easier on the body, even if I push as hard as I did today--at least if fitness in my sixth decade will work as it has throughout my life previous to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment